Monday, July 21, 2014

Never Ending Binding

I've been pretty stinky with quarterly goals this year, so I've decided to take a slightly different angle for the end of the year.  I don't get to spend much time sewing during the work week, so I've decided to set myself up in a way that I actually can get my hands on fabric outside of the weekends.

I've got tons of quilt tops that need to be quilted up and finished.  Lots of them already have backings, batting, and binding assigned to them, they just need to be DONE.  So, beginning with this wallhanging that I started for St. Patrick's Day (yes, I am just a bit behind...), I am pledging to myself to always have a project in the binding stage!


This way, I can do my hand sewing during the week, when I'm hanging out on the couch, watching TV and snuggling with the puppies.  It'll keep me moving forward in my projects, and help me get through this ridiculous backlog!


More progress soon!

Friday, July 18, 2014

MQG Michael Miller Challenge


My challenge quilt is done!  I spent hours looking through pins and websites and so on, trying to get inspiration. Once I finally figured out what I was going to do, it took me only one day to make it, from the first cut in the fabric to the last stitch in the binding.

There was some planning on the design wall... 


A lot of thankfulness when it miraculously came together right the first time... 


Lots of straight line quilting... 


Some puppy helpering....


And finally some quilt hanging! 


Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bee block tutorial!

It's my bee block month!  Since I have to put together the instructions for my bee mates, I thought I'd do it up as a tutorial for the blog!  The block was inspired by Bonnie Hunter's String-X block.  I certainly didn't want to saddle my poor bee mates with using strings, so I refigured it using chunks cut from a jelly roll!  Using the uniform pieces for the middle also means that you don't have to worry about doing this on foundation paper.

General instructions:  The goal this quilt is for the blocks to have a scrappy look, so mix 'em up!  As you sew, please remember to use a quarter inch seam allowance, and a white or cream thread. Press the seams to whichever side is easiest, but I generally do not press seams open. 

Materials: The kit I put together should have four printed charms and four background squares, along with an assortment of sixteen 2.5" x 5" rectangles.

Cutting: There are only two sets of cuts to make: 

Cut the charm squares in half once, diagonally: 


And then do the same with the background squares: 


Sewing:   Choose four rectangles, and sew them in a strip, long sides together: 


Next, choose a print triangle, and sew on to each end of the strip: 


Trim the extra points off of the print triangles to square up the sides.  Then, sew a background triangle to each side of the strip:  


Square up the unit to 10 inches: 


Then sew the four units together to make an X shape: 


And that's it!  The block should measure 19.5" square.  This set of blocks uses Ansonia by Denise Schmidt, cut from a jelly roll and a charm pack, and uses Kona White as the background.  Can't wait to get them all together and see how they look!!  Thanks, ladies! 

Monday, July 7, 2014

Hello again!

It's been a crazy few months around here, and it feels like it's been years since I've posted anything here!  I keep thinking of tons of stuff that I should be posting about, and then more time goes by, and I feel even more backed up!  Hopefully, I'll be able to go back and post about a few things I've been accomplishing over the last few months.  For now, though, I'm just going to jump in where I am!

Tonight marks the end of a gloriously loooooong five day weekend for Independence Day!  We didn't have specific vacation plans - just extra time to get stuff done and loaf around the house. I have to admit, that's my favorite kind of time off!  

You would think that with five days off, I'd have tons of time for sewing, but I really only got to it today. You see, a week ago, we added a new member to our family!  


Her name is Kona, and she's a sweet little four month old!  (Don't judge on the dress - we gave her a Hawaiian name, and then two hours later I saw this dress at the pet shop!). Needless to say, she's been keeping us pretty busy, between housebreaking and getting to know her big sister.... Ugh!  It's all worth it though - what a sweetie!!

I did get some sewing done today,  though! I made this block for my quilting bee mate at my guild: 


There is some SUPER cute ghost fabric in the mix there that glows in the dark!!! I may need to find some of that....

Next month is my month to be queen bee, so I also spent some time making kits for my blocks.  I made one block to show as an example at our meeting next week when I had them out: 


I can't wait to see this all together!! I'm using Ansonia by Denise Schmidt, and the photo doesn't even do the colors justice. I can't wait to have this in my living room when it's done!  

More soon! 

Friday, April 25, 2014

Little Flyer


A few months ago, I was contacted by a customer that I had made a quilt for quite a while ago.  I had made that quilt for her first grandbaby, and it turns out, number two is on the way!  She wanted a special quilt for this little one, too, and specially chose the pattern for him.


The pattern is Little Flyer from Alex Anderson's Baby Quilts with Love: 12 Timeless Projects for Today's Nursery.  It was pretty easy to work up - as long as you mind the bias edges! - and turned out beautifully with fairly simple quilting.


Check out the book, and see if you can find yourself a must-sew quilt, too!