Part of what's been keeping me from getting more done lately has been the issue I've been having with my iron. I was soooo happy to get my new Rowenta, and at first, it did an amazing job. But somehow, and I think this involved a leak somewhere inside, it has started angering my breaker box.
I've been able to drag it out to another room, but that doesn't exactly keep me working along at a nice clip, when each time I need to press I have to gather eeeeeeeeeeverything up and haul it next door. (Incidentally, doing some ironing in the next room is when I discovered it may be a leak. I filled it up to the brim with water, and after pressing about 8 seams, it was dry again. Grr.) I still need to look into whether or not I can take it back, but in the meanwhile, I decided to go back to Old Faithful (aka my husband's old iron from his bachelor days).
With a sudden boost in productivity, I managed to get some decent progress done this weekend! I started a couple of autumn-y tablerunners yesterday, and have all the HST's done. Now I just need to finish piecing them all together to make the tops.
I used one charm pack and some yardage to make the HST's, figuring that I can get two tablerunners out of the set. Each would have measured about 16 inches by 40 inches. Now I'm thinking of maybe making one long one with those dimensions, but making two that are 16 inches by 20 inches. We'll see how it comes along. This is what the long one looks like right now on my design wall:
I also got some late afternoon inspiration on Sunday from this tutorial that Jean over at the Quilted Cupcake pinned. I'm sure I've seen this technique before for making 4 patches, but seeing it again gave me a particular jolt to work up a baby quilt I've been mulling over for a while. So far, I've turned two Papillon charm packs into this stack:
I had thought that I'd get it completely pieced into a top yesterday, but it turns out I got a little ahead of myself. I have to get the tablerunners done before I have the real estate on my design wall to put together the patchy top. At least it will go more quickly now that I've got my trusty iron back!