Well. Life has a great way of saying to you, HA! Not so fast.... I can't really complain that much - I actually got quite a lot accomplished. I took the car in for servicing, which was only very slightly overdue. I paid bills and did my books. The hubs and I went berserk on the front yard, and chopped, chopped, chopped, and had 7 (!) contractor sized bags of trimmings to show for it, which I dutifully hauled to the city dump.
I also helped my brother re-do the couch cushions, which had started to poke him in the butt with feathers. I had no idea that there even WERE feathers in the couch cushions when I originally bought it 10 years ago, before passing it on to him 6 years ago. When we opened up the zipper on the cushion cover, this is what we saw:
HOLY COW!! We replaced the feather pad that surrounded the foam cushion with a memory foam layer, and now he's back in business. (But I'm sure I'll be finding feathers in all kinds of weird places for days to come...)
I also made major headway on a new quilty project! This is where I hit the speedbumps, and ultimately a brick wall, though...
Saturday night, I got the entire top pieced! I'm hoping to put together a tutorial for this one soon, but here's how the top turned out:
Kind of tough to see, because it's got a white background, and it's on my white design wall, but you get the idea. I have to say, I'm super happy with the design itself! I even managed to get my center points to line up soooo nicely!
My first speed bump came in pressing out the blocks that used the white background fabric. I realized, too late, that I'd used some subpar fabric - lord only knows where or when I bought it. But this stuff, it's just awful!! When I press it, it shrinks and distorts, and that's just with a dry iron!
I also did the math wrong when I figured out what size this would come out as, so it's too big to be the baby quilt that I envisioned it would be. That also threw off my plans for the backing, which I thought I'd just piece together from the leftover layer cake pieces. UGH. If I had any hope of finishing in time to make the Project Quilting deadline, I'd have to use the big, honkin' piece of minky that hadn't really been assigned a project yet.
With all of those issues, I thought that I'd just make the best of it. This would be a great time to try out a new FMQ pattern that I've been wanting to try out - loopy, big-petaled flowers. I started sewing away on Sunday morning, but had yet another issue to deal with. Saturday night, in the last 4 inches of the very last seam I had to sew to complete the top, the bobbin decided it wasn't happy. It jumped from where it's supposed to sit in my machine:
To a very unusual place:
I cleaned out the whole machine, got the bobbin back in its place, and refilled it to try to get it in a little bit of a happier place. But, alas, as I tried to do my FMQ, there's this little clicking sound going on, and my thread keeps breaking. So. No quilt finish to share, and I didn't get it done for the PQ deadline. Brick wall.
I'm going to give it another thorough cleaning, and see if I can't figure out what that clicking is. However, if that doesn't work, it's time for the machine to head to the shop. Booooo! Keep your fingers crossed that I can exorcise whatever demon is in there!